me='viewport'/> the Blog Wine Cellar - Investing in Wine: 2006 Santa Rita Medalla Real Chardonnay

Friday, January 16, 2009

2006 Santa Rita Medalla Real Chardonnay

This Chilean Chardonnay from the Casablanca Valley D.O. is perhaps the best example of Chardonnay I have ever tasted from Chile. If blind tasted I would have had trouble thinking this wine wasn't from California with it's shinning fruit purity and creamy oak depth. This wine was produced using 60% stainless steel fermentation to maintain its fruit and freshness; and the remaining 40% was fermented in 30% new French oak barrels.

On the nose this wine presents aromas of lemon zest and tropical fruits such as pineapple, papaya, and mango, and is also accompanied by a brilliant touch of oak that is creamy and buttery. On the palate the wine comes across in a rich style with toasted oak and great fruit balance. Papaya, mango, and creamy lemon are just a few of the complexities that are expressed in a crisp and focused style, that comes across in rich fashion without being viscous or globby in nature. It not often I find Chardonnay in this rich of a style that has the crisp acid and focus on fruit purity. This is truly an eye opener and probably the best Chilean Chardonnay I have tasted to date. Major kudos to Santa Rita! 91+ points

No comments: