me='viewport'/> the Blog Wine Cellar - Investing in Wine: 2004 DiStefano Sogno

Saturday, August 08, 2009

2004 DiStefano Sogno

The 2004 DiStefano"Sogno" is a 1,100 case production red wine from Columbia Valley Washington and is composed of predominantly Cabernet Franc (91%) and the rest Cab Sauv (9%).

As one might imagine the aromatics on this baby are quite expressive and Cabernet Franc is known to be far more perfumed than it's wild son Cabernet Sauvignon. The bouquet expressive amazing notes of rich dark chocolate truffle, dusty coco, blackberry, cherry, red currant, spice, cedar, and a touch of herb and peppercorn.

On the palate the wine is perfectly ripe and shows deep and savory blackberry flavors combined with chocolate truffle, coco powder, oak, and a touch of herb. I love the ripe and almost sweet tannins this wine exudes. While being deliciously savory and ripe the tannin is still firm and structured. Very nice wine that I would have guested to be Cabernet Sauvignon if tasted blind. The only thing that hints towards Cabernet Franc is the expressiveness of the bouquet and the herbal undertones. 91 Points


Michael Hughes said...

I love love LOVE Washington State cabernet franc! I wish I could get this in Memphis.

Side note-are you going on (or have you been on) Washington Wine Road Trip?

thomas said...

Furthest North I've been is Willamette. I will go to Washington wine country very soon!