Recently I was able to attend an amazing rosé tasting with a group of wine friends and I thought I would just mention a few of the wines that I thought were standouts among the forty or so rosé's that were available. Here where the top five wines I tasted:
1. 2010 Crios de Susana Balbo Rose of Malbec - Great aromatics, bright and full red fruit, long finish
2. 2010 A to Z Rosé - Oregon - 100% Sangiovese, great color, crisp acid, long finish
3. 2010 Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare - most complex wine of the tasting, light salmon color, citrus aromatics, very long finish
4. 2007 Schramsberg Brut Rosé - Best sparkler, very complex, bread dough, long finish
5. 2010 Van Duzer Pinot Noir Rosé - Great bouquet, good varietal character, soft and seductive
These were in my opinion some of the better wines of the tasting. Some of the French stuff was good too, but I honestly can't remember the names of those. Anyways, I highly recommend rosé during the summer time and have always felt that it's some of the best wine for pairing with a wide variety of foods. I for one think they can be very complex wines and sometimes a whole lot more interesting than most Pinot Grigio's or S.B.'s.